Friday, September 17, 2010

dangerous bliss...

I can't remember exactly where I picked up on the whole estim culture, but I do remember that I immediately put my new found knowledge in use.  Like so many others, my first venture was using a stereo amp, a PC sound source and some homemade electrodes.  Home Depot is a whole new adventure when on the prowl for a promising DIY estim electrode.  A long forgotten forum provided some guidance which along with the documentation for the "Phaser" estim waveform generator PC program at least pointed me in the right direction.  In fact the docs for Phaser remain among the best for newbies as to how to improve the safety factors involved when using a stereo amp with estim as well as suggested electrode hookup.

So with my crude, first DIY electrodes, my trusty VAIO notebook, a 60W stereo amp and my desire to explore estim, I set about the task.  My first experience was a lot like the first time you fuck...expectation and reality not quite meeting up.  Yes, it felt good, and I certainly wanted to do it again, but it was not the mind blowing OMG that others had raved about.  As an engineer, I felt that the lack of a HFO (hands free orgasm) on the first try was due to a failure on my part.  I continued to play with the various waveforms/electrodes but nothing was really tripping my wire.

It is interesting that my first OMG moment was not of the variety that I had expected.  One of the downsides of using a stereo amp is that it has the potential to "cook" things quite literally.  This I knew and I had taken precautions as detailed in the Phaser docs to minimize the potential, but I really had not considered that a really nasty experience was still a strong possibility.  I remember it well, I was sitting in my home office chair, zoned out on the sensations, when I decided to up the levels a little.  What happened next was a wake up call as the dangers.  The amp I was using had input trim adjustments that I had been using to control the levels of output from the amp (better control than trying to vary the outputs from my PC).  Apparently, one of the potentiometers had a dirty spot and as I eased the level up, it suddenly jumped dramatically.  I went from a buzzed sexual haze to OMG get this shit off me NOW!!!.  I had read about guys getting into this situation and in some cases freezing from panic.  It was an experience unlike anything I had ever experienced, pain, but in a wholly new and vastly more intense form.  I vaguely remember thinking that I might well be frying the family jewels.  The entire length of time from the onset of my shocking situation to relief was only a few seconds, but it seemed a lifetime.  I got a first hand lesson on the darker side of estim (hard core BDSM torture).

Finally, my instincts took over.  I grabbed the power cord leading from the amp to the wall socket and yanked it so hard that it is a wonder that I did not pull the socket out of the wall.  I was very shaken by the experience and it took me a good 30 minutes of doing absolutely nothing to recover.  Thankfully, other than the memory, there was no damage.  I had been lucky that it was nothing more than the voltage levels spiking well beyond the pleasurable point.

I put estim to the side for several weeks after that experience.  Oddly enough, during that lull, the guys at ErosTek came to my attention.  They had very recently introduced the ET312B estim power box.  With the memory of my last stim experience still vivid, even the $499 cost of the ET312B was no deterrent.  I had to have the ET312B.

So ended my initiation into estim.  The journey going forward would now be one of considerably more finesse.

shock

No comments:

Post a Comment